There's a restaurant in Los Angeles called Clementine. It is located directly across from the Century City shopping center. I discovered through their website that it's National Grilled Cheese Month, and they will be featuring 5 gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches every week during the month of April.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a Miller household staple. My husband prides himself on his GC technique, although I think I can get pretty cheesy with my skillet, too. We especially love to dip our melted wonders in fresh tomato soup! When American or Cheddar cheese is substituted with gourmet cheese or the cheese is layered with items such as crisp green apples, prosciutto, artichokes, eggplant—or whatever tickles one's fancy—an adventure begins.
I've gathered some cheesed-up fun for you. Also, please use the comment section to inspire me with your grilled cheese favorites.
GRILLED CHEESE WITH TOMATO & BASIL
Ingredients - Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 slices white bread
- 12 ounces Gouda or Swiss cheese
- 1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Arrange 4 slices, buttered side down, on clean work surface. Divide cheese evenly among 4 slices of bread. Arrange tomato slices over cheese, cutting slices in half to fit if necessary. Scatter basil leaves over tomatoes. Top with remaining slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Place sandwiches on a medium-hot grill, off direct heat. Cook until bread is golden and cheese is beginning to melt, about 4 minutes depending on heat of grill.
- Turn sandwiches over, and continue grilling until bread is golden and cheese is completely melted. Move to a slightly cooler part of the grill to melt if bread is darkening too much.
Fresh-Fig Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - Martha Stewart
Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - Allrecipes.com (combines cream cheese, mayonnaise, and shredded Colby-Monterey Jack for a yumcious concoction)
9 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes - Hugging the Coast